You intended to go online. Now you have a website in place that presents your goals well, is clean and clear and easy to navigate. But is that enough to get you going in the online world? No ! A good website is a ‘necessary’ but not a ‘sufficient’ condition for an online business. No one will buy from you unless they can find your business in their search engine results.To rank highly in search engine listings, companies employ what is known as Search Engine Optimisation techniques (SEO).
SEO is about making your website attractive to search engines in a way that makes it get listed high in the search engine results pages (SERPs) whenever a user types in a query with matching keywords.
Why SEO for Facebook?
With the growing use of social media, Pages on sites like Facebook have almost become second Home Page for businesses and it is true that you can no longer do a good job of SEO without doing social media marketing and social media marketing won’t be any successful if you ignored SEO. Embarking on the social media marketing program without optimising the content is like leaving money on the table. Useful social content (blog, video, images, audio) that cannot be discovered via search is a lost opportunity to reach an audience that is looking. While Facebook’s viral channels- the News Feed, invitations and message- help in spreading content to your fans, employing SEO strategies within your Facebook Pagecan expose your Page to Facebook’s entire user base.
Though search engines keep evolving and changing their search algorithms every once in a while, there still are a few timeless techniques to help you optimise your Facebook Page:
1) Choose an appropriate name for your Facebook Page: While choosing a name for your Facebook Page employing top left down keyword strategy could be tricky. Stuffing the title with generic keywords like “Sam’s Travel and Lodge” can be tempting but must be avoided as it can affect your viral growth rate within Facebook and more than offset the benefit arising out of SEO. Fans are likely to treat these pages as spam and might hide your updates from their News Feeds and may be reluctant to share your page with their friends. Secondly, Facebook expects Pages to represent authentic businesses, brands and celebrities and therefore it is advisable not to use too generic keywords like “Fashion” or “London”. Facebook disables updates from generic named Pages which can altogether stop you from reaching your fans. The bottom line: use your business’s real name as the name of your page. And once you pick your Page’s name, don’t change it. Facebook uses your Page name in the title of the Page, and since Google dings pages when their titles change, modifying your Facebook Page’s name will cost you SEO points.
2)Choose a good username for your Facebook Page: If you have more than 100 fans, Facebook allows you to choose your own URL. This is a SEO opportunity. You can incorporate a generic keyword in the URL or username which appears something like this; www.facebook.com/YourUsernameHere. But it is still wiser to use your business or brand name here as once you pick a username it cannot be changed- ever. So pick a name you are going to be comfortable and confident with in the long term. For example we chose www.facebook.com/SysComm. If you have less than 100 fans try and get more fans to take SEO advantage of URL.
3) Use the ‘About’ text box and ‘Info’ tab to place the keyword rich text and links: Facebook structure limits the amount of content you can put on the default Wall tab of a Page. SEO technique of placing keyword dense text near the top of the page can be applied using the ‘About’ box to put custom text. Every Page has an ‘info’ tab that should be utilised to put important information like :
‘Websites’ is a valuable opportunity to add direct links to your own websites or other relevant sites in your space. Filling out ‘info’ tab provides an excellent opportunity to use keywords and links which can help increase your content score in Google searches.
4) Include Direct Links to Your Website or Other Relevant Sites in Your Updates: Posting links in your status update can be a powerful and authentic way of boosting your page’s link score as Google rewards pages that provide relevant links by ranking them higher. You can do it in two ways:
5) Add Photos (with Captions), Events (with description) and add a Discussion Forum: In our previous blog we discussed that in order to grow your business online it is important to keep your content fresh and interesting. So if you are adding photographs, to do a bit of SEO add a keyword rich caption as well. Same goes for creating ‘events’- Add meaningful, keyword dense descriptions. Add a discussion forum to your Page.
6) Get more inbound links to your Facebook Page from outside: Posting text links to your Facebook page from outside can boost its Page rank just as getting more inbound links to your website from authentic sites increases its Page Rank. You can use the ‘Find Us on Facebook’ badge provided by Facebook to page owners.
Facebook makes all of the content shared on Facebook Pages indexable by search engines, so wisely use all the tools Facebook provides to your full advantage.
Hope you found this blog interesting. Please leave your comment below: If you have any queries or feedback, please get in touch with us.